Rethink Your Drink

Image of someone refilling a water bottleThe misperceptions of tap water and the look of older water fountains have deterred students, staff, and administrators from using them.  Unfortunately, this has led many people to sugary beverages or expensive bottled water to quench their thirst.  Through the Healthy Eating and Active Living (HEAL) grant, the Central Services building has received a water fountain makeover.  An Elkay refillable water fountain was placed in the building upstairs in November 2016.  It was strategically placed on the 2nd floor to encourage staff to get up and walk the stairs to a refreshing drink.  The concept worked according to Renarta Moyd, “I love it, I love it, I love it!!”  The EZ water fountain motivates me each day to get up from my desk and walk.  The ultimate reward is a cool refreshing drink of water.”  Jeanette Mason, Administrative Assistant- EC Services stated, “Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!! Love the new water fountain.  We are filling up our water dispenser each morning with the filtered water.  This is a healthy alternative to bottled water.  Eco-Friendly!! Saving our planet, one cup at a time!”  Within three months, Central Services has saved over 1, 475 water bottles.  Gray’s Creek Middle, Lucile Souders Elementary, and Cumberland Road Elementary also received refillable water fountains through the HEAL grant.  Go check them out!